nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Duck Weed

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@InfoAve.Net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Duck Weed
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 17:21:05 -0400

Hi Del, enjoy your site. In microbiology, as required for pre-med, we
spent more time on nitrogen-fixing bacteria and saprophytes than on
pathogenic bacteria. Seems to me that they must be present for any
composting to occur.
My personal opinion is that you would be better off trying to boost the
bacterial flora than adding more organic material for their consumption.

Adding rotting manure to the duck weed pile seems judicious to me.
Some heat and moisture is usually all it takes once saprophytic bacteria
are introduced into decaying vegetation.
Doc Lisenby (zones 7&8, where everything decays quickly when shielded
from actinic rays.)

  • [NAFEX] Re: Duck Weed, LONGDISTSHTR, 08/09/2002