nafex - [NAFEX] Wierd Weather, Yes Snow!

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Wierd Weather, Yes Snow!
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 14:12:03 -0600 (MDT)

Believe it or not, about an hour drive south and south west of my orchard,
the ground was covered by 2 inches of fresh snow yesterday. Frost was
recorded east of Edmonton, with temperatures as low as -2.8C or about 26F.
Only about two weeks ago we were in a severe hot spell (for us), with daily
temperatures hitting the mid 90sF, about 35C. Yesterday the high
temperature for Edmonton was 8.9C, or 48F, and the low about 3C, or 38F. It
was even cooler outside the city, but it didn't freeze at my orchard. These
temperatures and snow are very unusual for this time of year, sort of mid to
late September cold front conditions that we see sometimes. But never in
early August.

As a further comment about snow, I've been amazed on a number of occasions
how little damage it does to my orchard, even in full bloom! The reason is
that when it snows in spring (perhaps once every 3 or 4 years) at full bloom
(mid to late May here), the temperature is around the freezing point.
Apparently it needs to get to -3C or about 26F to seriously damage the apple
blossoms. The snow melts, and the trees continue growth as if nothing
happened. Needless to say, I do grow pretty tough apple trees. But it does
show that apples can be grown in very challenging climates quite
successfully, as long as you have the right varieties and rootstocks.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta zone 3/2

  • [NAFEX] Wierd Weather, Yes Snow!, Bernie Nikolai, 08/04/2002