nafex - RE: [NAFEX] orchard hay compost

  • From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucehansen@ACD.NET>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] orchard hay compost
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:04:37 -0400

I have used hay on many occasions to mulch around my orchard trees. Mind
you, I always kept the mulch away from the tree trunk. Alas, I no longer use
this technique but have gone to a mixture of orchard grass and clovers (some
alfalfa) which I mow a couple of times a season. Adding red worms to my clay
soil is the second step in this process, since they make short work of the
cuttings. The problem I ran into with the hay mulch was voles and the damage
they cause in the winter. The hay is a lovely home for these critters and
even though the mulch band is placed away from the tree, a good snow makes
for fun sliding tunnels to the food source, my tree trunks. I have learned a
bunch about bridge grafting and my craft is improving but enough of a good
thing is enough.

Best of Luck
Bruce