nafex - [NAFEX] orchard hay compost

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] orchard hay compost
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:08:05 +0000

I am presently cutting hay from a low area near my orchard with the intention of adding it to the orchard as much needed organic matter - to amend the clay soil. I just did a net search on composting hay and came up empty.
My thought is to make windrows 2' deep. Or to encircle the trees 6-8' dia. 2'deep. I dont have any mechanical means to turn it so will have to let it compost by worms and slower (anerobic?) rotting. Naturally, wherever I put it I won't be able to mow , but hopefully won't have to . Getting mulch off from around the trees in the spring is a good idea here for early ground warm up.... not sure how to add that into the equation.
Any one done this ? Just piled hay in an orhcard and hoped for nature to do the rest?
I am hoping to be able to add a neighbors horse manure to the top of it as well.
Duck weed has completely closed in our 2 acre pond, bet it would make wonderful fertilizer if a person could gather it.
Wish we could send some our rain to you folk in the dry parts of N. America, just had an awesome skeeter hatch here. Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3