nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Ownership

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Ownership
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:01:52 -0400

Mauch1@aol.com wrote:

It is difficult to perform precise horticultural practices like budding when assisted by a three year old. Three year olds who have been stung by yellow jackets. Recently. Like yesterday. There are many bugs in the nursery row and orchard. They all resemble bees. To a three year old. Three year olds are impervious to logic.

Wow! I have four kids. The oldest (12) can help with the youngest. Two of the most dreaded words in the English language are "Daddy! Wait!" I love my children, but I think there are some things that I ought to be able to slink off alone and do.

The youngest does not think much of raspberries this year. They have "coconut" (?) in them. I assume he is objecting to the seeds.

Thanks for sharing.

Joe,
It's even difficult to perform imprecise horticultural practices like
picking berries when assisted by two 2 3/4 boy twins and their 13 month-old
brother...

To a 13 month-old - all berries are equal.

One of the older boys refuses to eat any berries this year. Loved them last year, this year they shall not pass his lips. "No thank you, Daddy." (But hey, at least he's polite).

The other twin has discovered the best way to pick berries. "Daddy, trade (picking container) with me." Now sit down and
proceed to eat as many berries as possible...

I do all my grafting in the early morning before they're up (~5:30 am). Or
the rare moments when they're all napping simultaneously.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6