nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nanking cherries

  • From: hector black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nanking cherries
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 15:10:48 -0700

Hello Mike,
I was sent seed from the Vladivostok Station on the Pacific coast of
Russia north of China (some years ago before the plum pox warnings).. The
USDA and TN. DA have checked them for pox and found none. They were
supposed to be improved selections, but I haven't noticed much difference
from others that I've gotten here. They are frosted often like other early
bloomers here, and get infested with a small beetle here that causes the
tips to die back. And Japanese beetles eat the foliage badly. They don't
appear to be a long-lived shrub.

Hector Black zone 6 middle TN