nafex - [NAFEX] pests: grapes

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pests: grapes
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:42:50 -0400

I have a canadace grape vine which is suffering from some pest. It
shows symptoms like the raspberries did when they had cane borers. A
growing tip will wither away, and sometimes break off. There is a ring
of dark spots at the base of the damage, and sometimes another one
farther down.

Today I may have spotted the culprit in action. I saw a black (or dark
brown) weevily thing, about 1/4 inch long, on an apparently healthy
growing tip, and there were dark dots under it when I removed it. I
tried to crush it, but may not have succeeded - it is very tough.

What is causing the problem, and more important, how should I treat it?
I only have one grape vine, and would rather avoid spraying poisons if
there's another treatment. (The Surround obviously didn't do the trick,
but maybe that's related to the constant rain we've had for the last
month.) Can I just treat by removing the damaged portion and a little
below it, like with the raspberries?

Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6
Where we had a pleasant sunny afternoon, but it just started raining
again.

  • [NAFEX] pests: grapes, Ginda Fisher, 06/17/2002