nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plums Kill E.coli, other meat pathogens

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plums Kill E.coli, other meat pathogens
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 21:46:14 -0400

I couple of years ago, I saw an article about mixing cherry pulp into
ground beef. It was supposed to make it safer (I forget how, but I
think it had to do with fewer carcinogens forming during cooking) and
was touted as producing a very palatable burger, that tasted like
unadulterated meat but was moister.

It sounded okay, but since cherries cost more per pound than ground beef
around here, I didn't see much utility. This sounds similar, except
plums are cheaper.

I doubt that 3% prune adds enough sugar to kill bacteria. Probably
something else. Also, honey is more antibiotic than a similar
concentration of sugar water, because the bees add preservatives to it.
You can see the difference if you make bread with honey or with sugar -
the honey loaf keeps better.

Ginda

(Still hoping for grapes this year - lots of buds remain.)