nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [Fwd: Apple Diseases]

  • From: Mr chris duffy <fruity08559@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [Fwd: Apple Diseases]
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:36:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net> wrote:

> ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822 name=Apple Diseases
> Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 21:17:52 -0400
> From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
> To: nafex.@lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Apple Diseases
>
> Jack:
>
> You are not alone. Perhaps due to the highly
> abnormal weather, I am
> seeing fireblight scattered all over on mature apple
> trees that never
> showed any signs of it before. Must have something
> to do with that very
> warm period we had in April, which I thought was
> great for pollination
> (and it was), but brought other things as well. I
> would be willing to
> bet fireblight is what you are seeing, and, since I
> am not set up to
> administer antibiotics, the only thing I can think
> of to do is snip it
> off as soon as it appears. Sometime it is just a
> single, isolated
> fruiting spur, but more frequently tips of small
> branches. And I am not
> even using the bleach-dip method with the pruning
> shears, which would be
> nearly impossible as I move around the trees on my
> ladder. I am doing
> this as I thin the apples, and I try to cut the
> infected branches off
> well below the evident infection. I have made
> hundreds, perhaps
> thousands of cuts on this stuff. My only hope is
> that weather
> conditions will change enough to stop it naturally.
> If not, many of my
> trees are in trouble.
>
> And fireblight is not the only thing I am seeing.
> Also touches of cedar
> apple rust on the fruit of many varieties. Often,
> however, the CAR is
> visible only on one or two fruits in a cluster, and
> those are the first
> to come off. I thought I had done with CAR when I
> cut down the
> neighbor's cedar, but there are apparently others in
> spitting distance
> and the infection was brought in with the wind and
> rain. No serious
> damage visible on the leaves.
>
> But here's the strange part: no apple scab. None.
> Whatever conditions
> were favorable to development of these diseases were
> not so kind to the
> scab fungus.
>
> Plenty of insect pressures, and very poor conditions
> for a regular spray
> schedule. Extremely windy, even in the late
> afternoons, and rain just
> when you don't want it. In addition to minor damage
> from plum curculio,
> I am seeing quite a bit of injury from what I
> believe to be the
> tarnished plant bug, and a lot of what is apparently
> codling moth on
> very young apples. I didn't ever expect to see that
> so early. Entry
> wound is round, with orange frass left on the
> [...]
Always glad to read your letters. You do seem
to be running a lab for disease and pests. Have you
subcontracted your orchard out to the local university
for research?
Anyway your experiences often mirror albeit
magnified a thousand times the growing conditions
her in central Jersey. With respect to the early
appearance of codling moth I found the same. I also
thought I was mistaking it. CAR seemed early- I am
interested to see what the severity will be. I am
betting that scab will be absent too.
Fireblight did put in a rare appearance also.
However we got screwed out of the good apple
pollin.
as that is when cold weather hit. Only the pear
and plum benefitted. Oh well now I know more huh?
Good growing.
cj.Duffy Stockton, Nj Zone 4,5,6,7