nafex - [NAFEX] Strawberries

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Strawberries
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:05:47 -0500

I have a bed of second-year Ozark Beauty, Tribute and Tri-Star
strawberries. In their first summer, they produced nicely and put out
plenty of runners to fill in beds. Early this spring, I spread a balanced
granular organic fertilizer from Espoma over the bed. As the plants woke up
and put out leaves, I noticed in spots that some of the big leaves were
yellowish with green veins. I foliar fed the bed with Gionna's organic
spray C-Spray and followed up with an application of blood meal. Those
leaves are still pale green with dark green veins. Note that these leaves
are only about 3 or 4 percent of the total leaves on the strawberry plants.
The plants are huge and loaded with flowers. I am perplexed why I cannot
get rid of the pale, veined leaves, though. Any suggestions? One other
note, other temperatures have been about 10 degrees below normal, and we are
still getting frosts in mid-May.
Doreen Howard
Janesville, WI
USDA Zone 4b