nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujubes

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujubes
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 19:05:19 -0500

Dr. Natelson wrote:
> Sam Powers (PowersSG@aol.com) is our regional jujube guru and has a Li
and a Lang that
> are about 40-50 years old as well as most every other named variety and
can
> tell you the growth characteristics of these trees in the deep South.

>From a taste point of view, I recommend the Li jujube, although Lang is
good, too. Sam Powers has so many jujubes that if you visit him in the
early Fall, you come away loaded down with them. Mrs. Powers (Ginger)
candies and dries some of them so that they taste and look just like dates.
Li has a flowery flavor raw off the tree, but it turns kind of starchy later
IMHO. I've made wonderful jujube pies and cobblers.
Doreen Howard