nafex - Re: [nafex] Dormant Oils

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Dormant Oils
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:26:36 -0400

Thomas Olenio wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Don Yellman wrote:
>
>>Robert:
>>
>>1. The Ortho Volck oil spray described by Tom is a traditional
>>"superior" type oil, and, presumably, heavier than the "summer oils"
>>that are now on the market. I have a product called Eco-Oil from
>>Gardens Alive(?) , and another from Bonide that are billed as all-season
>>oils. The Eco-Oil label says it should not be applied above 90F. But
>>

>Don,
>
>Have you ever heard of mineral oil being used as a dormant spray, at a
>rate of 5 ounces (10 TBS) per gallon?
>
>Later,
>Tom

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Tom:

Yes, I have. That's what I always use for dormant spraying, and that's
the rate I use it at as I mentioned in para. 2 of my last msg. I
usually dormant spray at about green tip, in mid-March or so, trying to
catch the overwintering insects just before they hatch out, and this
year I combined a pretty strong (3 oz. per gal.) dose of lime/sulphur
with the oil, which you can do so long as the trees are not leafed out.
I'm not familiar with the "Stylet" oil mentioned by Ed M., but I am
puzzled at how a light oil could have antifungal properties in itself.
Perhaps it works by smothering the insects, like aphids, that carry the
mildew organisms to the plants.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Buy Stock for $4