nafex - [nafex] Calcium Sprays

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Calcium Sprays
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:20:53 -0400

1. This year, for the first time, I plan to use a calcium spray on my
apples and stone fruits. Had to go out to Winchester, VA, an apple
growing area, to find it. It's not expensive; $20 buys a 2.5 gal.
container. The brand name is "Stop-It", and it is 12.1 % calcium
chloride, and 23% of that is listed as "chlorine".

2. The reason I want to try this is frequent evidence of corky spot,
bulls-eye and other rots on the apples. The soil here is an acidic
clay/shale, and I don't think I have moved it much with annual
applications of dolomitic limestone on the land. So I am reasonably
certain the soil is calcium deficient, and I believe that calcium is
more readily absorbed through the leaves than the roots in any case. I
know that calcium sprays are frequently used by commercial growers to
improve the quality, color, and even the keeping qualities of their
fruit, but they are not commonly sold at retail, and I don't think too
many backyard orchardists use them.

3. The label recommends 4 qts. product per 100 gallons of water, which
translates to about a 50:1 dilution rate. I plan to use 10 oz. in a 4
gal. backpack sprayer. For apples, the label recommends applications at
10-14 day intervals, from petal fall until harvest. I would plan to mix
it in my usual pesticide spray, Imidan, which I will combine this year
with a low rate of lime/sulphur or sulphur. For stone fruits, only two
applications are recommended, at 2 and 4 weeks before harvest.

4. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used calcium,
particularly experienced commercial growers. Guys like Ed, for example.
Are there things I should know about calcium use and compatibility with
other chemicals before I start adding it to the program? I am getting
some apple petal fall right now, and will probably start spraying around
April 22/23. I am particularly keen to learn any negative effects that
could result from through-the-season use of this substance at the
recommended dilution rate. I do know that it is pretty corrosive (I
think it's basically the same thing as road salt), and I will have to
rinse my sprayer carefully after use.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA
Where a warm, sunny spell is giving us the best apple pollination
conditions I have ever seen.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.