nafex - Kaphal - Myrica nagi

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: "Ginda Fisher-NAFEX" <ginda@concentric.net>
  • Subject: Kaphal - Myrica nagi
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:55:39 +0530

Dear Ginda,

I am pleased to tell you about a very little known Himalayan wild fruit Kaphal(Myrica nagi).

The kaphal fruits shown in this picture are mature but not fully ripe.  When fully ripe, they look deep red to purple.
Kaphal is a very tasty fruit of excellent quality.  The fruits are collected from the wild and have not been domesticated yet even in India.  These grow in forests at about 5000 ft.  The fruits are very much liked by people and offered for sale in nearby town.  In my home town, these are sold at a price which is as much as or sometimes more than that of mango and apple.  Kaphal should safely withstand upto -25 F.

This fruit has a potential of a new fruit crop.  It therefore deserves domestication and may turn out to be a new commercial crop.

Please write me in case you have any query about it.

You may also write me in case you want to know about any other lesser known fruit from the Indian region.

I am a horticultural scientist from India.  For the last three decades, I have been working on lesser known India fruits particularly those that grow wild in the Himalayan mid-hills of North West India.  I try to promote the ones which are promising.

I shall keep telling you about such fruits from time to time.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Plants
www.lesserknownplants.com

  • Kaphal - Myrica nagi, Dr. Chiranjit Parmar, 04/16/2002