nafex - [nafex] paw paws

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] paw paws
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 08:37:00 -0500

Just went to an agroforestry conference in Lacrosse Wisc this weekend.
One of the highlights was Tom Wahl of Red Fern Farm raving about the
cold hardy paw paws from the pennsylvannia series which he seemed pretty
convinced would ripen fine in zone 4. Is there anyone else out there
growing them (in zone 4)? He mentioned John H Gordon Nursery
(http://www.geocities.com/nuttreegordon/0Kgordon.htm) as the source.
Since Ive killed my share of paw paws over the years I think I'll give
these a try. Also Im wondering if there is anyone who is working on
growing out & selecting paw paws for hardiness & early ripening.

On another note, the conference was pretty much dominated by a lot of
people who are growing out phil rutter's hazelnut & chestnut selections
& gearing up to create a producers pool for this area. It actually was
pretty exciting to literally listen how this new commercial crop is
unfolding as we speak & yet a little nerve racking to hear the various
growers say things like they are betting the farm on it (at $5 a pop,
it must be a major investment to put 2-5 acres in)...

mIEKAL

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.