nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Changing hosts (board input solicited)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Changing hosts (board input solicited)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:34:35 -0700

on 4/10/02 4:03 PM, Gordon Nofs at gc_nofs@hotmail.com wrote:

> That sounds more like Your AOL than anything else. Personally I don't know
> anyone who knows computers and websites that have AOL.
> Gordon===================

Since I'm the one who started this, I'd better weigh in.
I'm upset with Yahoo for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that
they totally messed up my membership when they absorbed E-groups and
Onelist. I have been completely unable to get into Yahoo ever since, and
have never been able to contact a person - all I get is form letters.
This isn't as though I offer no alternatives. I have started several
lists, including e-versions of several Interest groups on Topica and have
had much better results with them. They offer things total privacy, so
that a search won't even turn up your group, and all members join by
invitation only. You have the option of getting the messages singly or in a
digest, or none at all, going to a website to view and respond to them as
you wish. They don't charge, though they do put text ads on the letters.
The only weak spot is that the archives are strictly in chronological order
- they are not searchable. In one case, a member of a list created a
separate, searchable archive at another URL for the list.
Setting up a list on Topica takes about 5 minutes or less, depending on
the speed of your computer. It would be entirely possible for me to set up
the list and turn it over to Greg, if that is what is desired.
I'm not saying Topica is perfect - it has had trouble delivering to a
few addresses, though most have been straightened out by contacting the ISP
and getting them to adjust their software for Topica mail.

I certainly am not trying to dominate anyone on this, but I've reached a
point of "enough is enough" with Yahoo, and I figured I could at least put
my money where my mouth is. I just want to see the matter resolved, and
soon. If someone else has a better, faster solution, by all means, use it.
-Lon Rombough

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.