nafex - Re: [nafex] Plastic tree mats/mulch

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Plastic tree mats/mulch
  • Date: Date header was inserted by l-daemon

Del asked "How deep and close are they recommending to till around a young
tree, I would think that would be dicey."
They said as shallowly as possible to still control the weeds, 2 to 4
inches. This may damage a few surface roots on some rootstocks, but no real
harm is done. Its cultivated to the end of the rootzone, plus a few inches,
so 3 or 4 ft circles on small trees.

Del asked " Also, I would be concerned about erosion
>here if I tilled the apple orchard hill continuously."
Personally I use a small Mantis tiller and dig "bowls" that are horizontal
around each tree. So I dig into the hill a bit on the uphill side, and
bring the soil down to the downhill side, and make a little bowl of about 4
ft diameter to hold the rainwater in and try to keep it from flowing
downhill. I let the bowls naturally weed over starting in mid August to
decrease vigor in the trees and help them go into winter dormancy.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta (where the Canada Geese are also here, looking stupid,
standing on frozen ponds and in fields with 8 inches of snow on them.)

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM