nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Strawberries - Variety "Fern"

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Strawberries - Variety "Fern"
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:54:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, barefootboy47 wrote:

> From what I understand, the biggest problem with the strawberry urns,
> mini-barrels etc--such as are planted in openings around the sides--is
> keeping them wet enough.

Hi,

Someone gave me a tip for watering strawberry urns/barrels off list and I
thought I would share it with you.

Take a semi-rigid plastic tube and cap one end. Drill or punch small
holes the length of the tube. Any tube will due, 1-1.5" diameter or
smaller. Make the tube a little longer than the depth of the planter.

Place the capped end inside the center of the the planter and keep it
centered as you fill the planter with soil. When you are done, you will
have a pipe sticking up through the center of the planter soil.

When you want to water the planter fill the end of the pipe with water.
This brings the water to the center of the planter, and ensures no dry
spots. The small holes you drilled will ensure a slow release of water
into the soil, uniformly (more uniform than top watering this type of
planter).

You may want to cover the open end so soil does not fall into the pipe
and fill it over time.

Not a bad tip, eh?

Later,
Tom