nafex - RE: [nafex] Digest Number 1024

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Digest Number 1024
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 06:34:57 -0600

>Pete Benfield wrote:
no meat or they were hard as rocks

While I've got a few ACCF American and Dunstan seedlings growing here on the
farm, as well as a few root sprouts from native trees, the only chestnuts
I've
ever had occasion to eat have been Chinese, from several trees around town.

You need to let them 'cure' in a cool dry place for just a few days to allow
the starches to be converted to sugars. If allowed to dry too much, they do
become as hard as a rock. Personally, I prefer to eat them fresh(cured).
Tried several different recommended methods of roasting 'em, and found them
disgusting. Different strokes...

I'm not a tremendous fan of the nuts themselves - I much prefer a good
hickory
or pecan, so I'm figuring that when my seedlings reach bearing age, the deer
&
squirrels are going to be the major beneficiaries.

I've never been in real close proximity to chstnuts when they're in bloom,
but
I've heard reports that they really stink; so...I've planted all my seedlings
well away from the house - mostly in close proximity to wildlife foodplots.

Oh, the native chestnuts that were growing in the woods here on the farm when
we bought this place - I figured that they were rootsprouts from previously
blighted trees - a couple are 20-25 ft tall, one looks like it was broken
over
about 10 ft up during the last timber harvest, but has regrown and has
produced a few burs & nuts(tiny, about the size of a horticultural bean, but
3
nuts per bur, so I don't think they're chinkapins). I sent a dried, pressed
leaf I had saved from 2000 to Jim Durrell, the KNGA chestnut guy, who
subsequently submitted it to one of the state forestry folks, who seem to
think it's an AmXChinese hybrid. Somewhat disappointing, but I'm planning to
collect leaves and twigs from all three trees this summer and submit for
definitive ID.

Lucky Pittman

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.