nafex - Re: [nafex] sandwiching, Ultra Hardy Peaches

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] sandwiching, Ultra Hardy Peaches
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:10:20 -0500 (EST)

Percy Wright was a famous horticulturist from the Canadian prairies who died
about 15 or so years ago. What he stated was that only the peach trees that
had super hardy Saskatchewan plums grafted into the peach tree survived a
test winter in BC. The peach trees without any Saskatchewan plum grafts
in/on them died, and he felt there was some interaction between the ultra
hardy Saskatchewan plums and the peach trees that increased hardiness of the
peach trees. He wasn't sure, but he thought it might have to do with the
peach trees hardening off earlier.

Re sandwiching, which is grafting a tender cultivar to a hardy frame tree,
and then grafting a hardy cultivar to the end of the tender graft. So you
might have something like Westcot apricot, Valiant peach, Westcot apricot,
all on the same branch. Only the middle part of the branch would produce
peaches, but the sandwiching would increase the hardiness of the peaches, in
theory. I have tried this with apples and it worked fine. Mind you,
non-sanwiched apples topworked to a hardy stembuilder also worked. Both
survived fully for me. I originally intended to do this with peaches, but I
could never get the peach graft to survive the first winter in my climate so
I could "sandwich it" the following spring by grafting something very hardy
to the end of the peach graft.

I have just recently come across an apparently legitimate peach that has
been surviving and producing in Regina, Saskatchewan, zone 2B! The mother
tree is several years old and has been producing for several years. The
peaches are apparently of mediocre quality at best. They would never be a
commercial variety. Nonetheles they are peaches, and they are edible, and
they are ultra hardy. Regina can easily hit -40C and a bit colder. The
mother tree is apparently a seedling from a planted peach pit. I'll try to
get a bit of scionwood this spring and graft it onto a Nanking cherry I have.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta

06:25 PM 1/9/02 -0000, you wrote:
>I finally found the Pomona issue and the article on sandwiching, it
>was written by Bernie Nikolai.
>He said that it was in BC, Canada that a felllow, Percyy Wright,
>grafted some super hardy plums onto some peaches (so it wasn't in
>Alaska as I'd thought), then a test winter killed all the peaches that
>weren't grafted to the plums.
>Percy thought that the plums caused the peaches to go dormant earlier
>in the fall. (I wonder why he didn't theorize that it caused them to
>leaf out later in the spring though, or at least why he ruled that
>out)
>Bernie goes on to say that he used the above info to try what I

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM