nafex - [nafex] Pawpaws

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Pawpaws
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:27:47 -0600

At 05:54 AM 01/09/2002 -0600, Pete B. wrote:
>About a year ago I found that there are pawpaws growing north of Gulfport,
>MS in the clay hills there. (not big hills) This is about 60 miles east of
>where we were raised. These pawpaws are on very small trees and are about
>thumb sized to hen egg sized. I tried eating a few soft ones and they were
>really some sorry mess. All seeds with a little bitter slime to go with
>them.

Pete,
What you describe sounds like A.parviflora to me. I've never knowingly
seen flag pawpaw (A.reticulata, I think) - I think it's more of a south
GA/FL species.

If you're going to attempt A.triloba down there you may be better off going
with some of the more Southern selections, like Mango(GA), Collins(GA),
and the Duckworth(FL) series.
I don't know how chilling hours enter into the equation for the
northern/midwestern pawpaw selections, but Kirk Pomper at KYSU may have
some insight on that.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!