nafex - Re: [nafex] Digest Number 968

  • From: "Pete Benfield" <pete@cmpsource.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Digest Number 968
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 05:54:22 -0600

Hi Lucky and Group
My pawpaw comments.
I was raised in South MS in the woods. Myself and brothers ate anything we
could in the woods. Never saw a pawpaw because there were none.
About a year ago I found that there are pawpaws growing north of Gulfport,
MS in the clay hills there. (not big hills) This is about 60 miles east of
where we were raised. These pawpaws are on very small trees and are about
thumb sized to hen egg sized. I tried eating a few soft ones and they were
really some sorry mess. All seeds with a little bitter slime to go with
them.
I have a couple plants here in South La. to try....saw a little blackish
flower on one before the little tree croaked. Got a few seedlings from seeds
ordered from Arkansas.(and a few other seedlings I ordered)
I have not had any luck with pawpaws but am still trying. I have asked many
oldtimers from this area...(south La....50 miles N of New Orleans...z 8b and
rural) about pawpaws, and no one has ever heard of them.
Thanks
Pete Benfield 8b