nafex - Re: [nafex] raised beds around trees

  • From: claude sweet <sweetent@home.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] raised beds around trees
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:14:01 -0800

Robert,

Most trees and shrubs, but especially the trees you mention, will
establish feeder roots in your raised beds unless you install a root
barrier in the bottom of the raised planter. The need to search for
water, especially in drier climates and in wet climates in a drought, is
a survival mechanism that can result in trees having feeder roots
fanning out over 100 feet from the trunk.

I have a raised planter that is about 30 inches high, to make it more
convenient for me to tend to without bending over or gardening on my
knees. The amount of tree roots that develop in just a year's time is
unbelievable. As a result I must dig out the planter mix, screen out the
roots, and replace about 25% of the volume prior to replanting with
tender flowering plants I over winter in pots.

If I had to do it over, I would lay a 2 inch thick cement pad on
construct the raised bed on top of it.

Hope my experience helps you.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA
USA

lostman_amiga wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I got another novice question for you.
> I have a few small trees in my front yard (Jujube, Che, Mulberry).
> Once they get a little more height on them, I thought I would
> surround the trees with a raised bed about one foot in depth
> and put in some Ribes around the tree with some saffron crocus or
> some other herbs around the edge.
>
> I'm thinking the tree will give the Ribes a little shade and thier
> surface roots will not restrict the tree roots.
>
> Does anyone see any problems with such a plan?
>

> Robert Hamilton
> Atlanta, GA
> Zone 7a-b
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1791435.3314591.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041941:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!