nafex - [nafex] Re: Luscious Pears

  • From: "edforest2010" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Luscious Pears
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:58:21 -0000

Doreen,
Most of the pears from that orchard have the same spots if I recall,
its scab I believe, definately not produced by the genetic makeup of
the pear itself.
Normally its a very good tasting pear, a little grit but hardly
detectable in my experiences.
Frank Foltz was very meticulous about rating his fruits for cold
hardiness and he rates it a zone 4. It might do zone 3 if topworked to
a hardier pear.
As far as texture, amount of grit, and flavor, on all three counts it
is just a little inferior to Seckel IMO. So, its a good pear and one
of the best for that zone, with the added bonus of the FB resistance.
Also, I believe it would have bigger fruits if thinned.
Clapps Favorite is one of the best tasting pears for this area, as
good as a Comice I'd say, large, evenly textured, but of course
susceptible to FB.
Which pears are you growing at this time Doreen?
For disease resistance, and flavor, the Harrow Delight and Harrow
Sweet are excellent, in flavor much better than Luscious. (IMO of
course) And they are not susceptible to the foliage diseases that
Luscious gets. In fact the foliage of Harrow Delight is just as clean
as a Keiffer or Asian pear.
Kevin B

--- In nafex@y..., "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@t...> wrote:
> Thanks Claude and Joe for the info. Pears were late here, and that
is why
> these are in the store. We've had a funny growing season. Late
freezes and
> a cold June delayed the flowering of many fruit trees. Then we had
early
> killing freezes in the last week of September, and then balmy,
above-normal
> weather. Everything matured later than normal. When the pears
ripen, I'll
> let you know if the flavor is worth growing. The appearance is
interesting
> enough to intrigue me.
> Doreen

Luscious is
> >considered hardy to zone 3, and one of the best for cold zones.
Small
> >fruit, pyriform shape, flavor type Bartlett but more intense.
> >I have a branch of Luscious in a Patten tree, but it hasn't
produced any
> >fruit yet.
> >I am a bit surprized that you found some by mid December as it is
> >considered a late mid-season variety that ripens beginning of
October that
> >doesn't keep more that a month.
> >Claude Jolicoeur
> >
> >A 15:12 01.12.14 -0600, vous avez écrit :
> >>I came across a pear today that I have never seen before or read
about at
> >>Whole Foods Organic Market in Madison, WI. It's a small pear and
looks
> like
> >>a giraffe! The skin is cream and heavily mottled with big tan
splotches.
> >>The name listed for it is Luscious, and it is grown by a small
organic
> >>orchard near the Mississippi River on the Wisconsin side. The
handwritten
> >>info on the pear stated that is a good variety for organic
production and
> is
> >>excellent eating quality. The flavor is supposed to be like
butterscotch.
> >>I'll have to wait until the pears ripen to verify that claim.
> >>
> >>Does anyone have info on this pear? The appearance of the fruit,
in
> itself,
> >>is quite interesting. I would have named it Giraffe, but no one
asked me.
> >>Doreen Howard,

> >4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a
posting and
> NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was
large).

> >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Unlimited calling with 3-way conferencing. Only $1/Mo.
with CrystalVoice! FREE trial. Click Here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hb1xVB/HxbDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM