nafex - [nafex] leeks / myco fungi

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] leeks / myco fungi
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:44:01 -0500

Hello All,

Thought I would experiment with growing my own myco fungi
using leeks in potted culture, using some retail myco fungi
I have on hand. However, I did not want to have to deal
with germinating slow starting leeks in December. Then I
had an idea...

I was in the produce departement of the market and noticed
that the leeks all had their roots, were still crisp, and
the roots looked viable. Figured for the price of leeks I
could test recovering the plants to use with my myco growing
experiment.

As I left the produce section I noticed a "reduced" table
that had a package of leeks, (about 24 of them) for .79
cents CDN (about .50 US). They were small, only 6" long and
looked in good shape.

Well I bought them, placed them in water, and they are ready
to take part in my experiment. Just thought I would pass
this shortcut along for those not interested in starting
leeks from seed.

I could not have bought seed and and spent all the time
germinating/growing them to this size for less.

Later,
Tom
--
Thomas Olenio