nafex - [nafex] Re: Rootstock for medlars

  • From: "Joseph D. Postman" <postmanj@ucs.orst.edu>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Rootstock for medlars
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:42:27 -0800 (PST)

As others have also mentioned, medlars can be grafted onto almost any pear
(Pyrus) rootstock. Besides medlar stock, this plant is reputed to have
the best compatibility with hawthorn (Crataegus). I don't know if a
particular Crataegus species is best. Quince is also suitable. Whatever
rootstock is used, it is best to plant medlars with the graft union
slightly below ground. Over time the medlar scion should eventually
become self rooted, resulting in a longer lived tree. I have seen medlar
trees over 20 years old with graft unions above ground on pear, hawthorn
and quince roots that showed no sign of weakness, however.

- Joseph

Joseph D. Postman, Plant Pathologist
National Clonal Germplasm Repository
Corvallis, Oregon USA
postmanj@bcc.orst.edu
www.ars-grin.gov/cor

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, kc5gxc wrote:

> I have found out that medlars can be grafted onto pyrus communis
> stock. Is there a common name for this stock? Can medlars be grafted
> onto anything else other than this and seedling or other medlars?
> Thanks, Pete z8b

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2vN8tD/_pSDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM