nafex - [nafex] Re: Clementines?

  • From: "crmauch" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Clementines?
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:23:30 -0000

Tom,
I have in the distant past raised citrus from seeds and it works
quite well. I don't know if the the occasional seeds the seedless
varieties throw are viable.

Interesting twist: from what I've read [and all this is from
reading not personal knowledge], in general, citrus seeds are usually
a clone of the maternal plant (the developing ovary for the seed has
several germ cells, one that is the motherXfather and the rest clones
of the maternal parent, and the these "clones" usually out compete
the cross). The citrus industry usually plants grafted cultivars,
because then the new tree doesn't go through an extended juvenile
stage, while seedlings will (no flowering and extensive thorniness).

Have fun.

Chris Mauchline

--- In nafex@y..., Tom Olenio <tolenio@s...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I can be patient... Will pips from a clementine grow
> into anything indoors in a pot? You find a rare seed or two
> in a fruit.
>
> Later,
> Tom
>
> Kathleen Meigs wrote:
>
> > Hi there from out West--
> >
> > I hope this is of interest:
> >
> > We grow lots of citrus including "tangerines" out here in
> > southern and
> > central California. Clementine is one variety of
> > tangerigne or mandarin
> > orange. We prefer satsuma mandarin as sweeter, juicer,
> > easier to peel.
> > Seedless tangerines (of which there are several varieties,
> > including Pixie,
> > are the best for gulping down).
> >
> > I have stared two (small) owari satsumi in outdoor pots.
> > One has set two
> > fruits which ought to be ripe in a few weeks (the fruit
> > ripens in December,
> > so are great around Christmas). Hae wrapped the pots, on
> > the south wall,
> > with "agribon". Tangerines are grown comercially in Ojai,
> > Fillmore (Ventura
> > County) and the Central Valley in California.
> >
> > I had a tree with so many satsumas at my apartment in
> > Santa Barbara that I
> > regularly squeezed them for their delicious nectar! The
> > peels are good in
> > Chinese cooking. Up here where I am now it is iffy since
> > the temp sometimes
> > get as low as 8 degrees. But usually not below 20.
> > Tangerines are the most
> > cold hardy citrus (I think after kumquats, also in
> > abundance in California,
> > tasty but not delectable like tangerines). Meyer "Lemon"
> > is said to be
> > fairly cold hardy (ie can freeze a bit) too. Then navel
> > oranges. Limes are
> > the least cold hardy citrus.
> >
> > Richard Ableman's nice book "On Good Land" talks about his
> > trying to grow
> > Clementine mandarins (I think they are grown mostly in
> > North Africa) at his
> > community garden in Goleta, Calif.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=178320.1681224.3270152.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
05041

> > 941:HM/A=879173/R=0/*http://www.fastweb.com/ib/yahoo-
76f>1cffcc.jpg

> > location information if
> > Post attachments
> > replying to a posting
> > posting was large).

> > Service.

> > > 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when
> > replying to a posting
> > and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial
> > posting was large).
> > >
> > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> > >

> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> > 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying
> > to a posting and NOT the entire message (especially if the
> > initial posting was large).
> >
> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
> > of Service.
>
> --
> Thomas Olenio
> Ontario, Canada