nafex - Re: [nafex] nanking/prunus propagating, how?

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] nanking/prunus propagating, how?
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 21:09:06 +0000

>Lee Reich in his Uncommon Fruits book which is a continual reference for
>me
>recommends softwood cuttings taken at the time of fruit ripening and
>treated as Gianni advises or dormant cuttings of one year wood cut into 8
>to 12 inch lengths and plunged up to top bud in well drained soil in fall
>or spring.

I haven't encountered any of Reich's books, sounds interesting, I'll look
into aquiring a couple. Were these suggestions specifically for nanking? If
so I'll hold out hope for the 50 or so cutings I buried just before freeze
up.

>He does warn that plants rooted from cuttings won't have a
>tap root and will be less drought resistant.

Would it be possible (I ignorantly ask) to take one root and just point it
down, or are tap roots a specialized and one-time root?

>I was pleasantly surprised by
>my first Nanking cherries last summer. They were sweet but too small to
>process so I enjoyed a handful on the way to my mailbox for about a
>month.
>vann south central NH

I'm hoping to plant several hundred feet of nankings along our driveway to
the mailbox, partly for just such purpose! Thanks Del z2/3

Promise to Quit
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5vN8tD/AqSDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM