nafex - [nafex] Re: Repair grafting question

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Repair grafting question
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:11:31 -0000

I think the reason Victoria's repair worked was because she repaired
it immediately and the cambium was able to reconnect itself to the
vasular system of the trunk.
I don't think that Tom's method will work unless it is repaired
immediately after the bark is stripped and the bark is able to callus
back onto the trunk.
What the bark lacks is a complete vascular system which a piece of
scionwood has.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Kevin B

--- In nafex@y..., Thomas Olenio <tolenio@s...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't you just hate lawnmower damage. Sometimes, no matter how
careful
> you are trying to be, it happens anyway. Lawnmowers are very
spiteful
> machines.
>
> Glad to hear your patching worked.
>
> Later,
> Tom
>
> --
>

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, victoria l. caron wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom, just catching up . . . I had damage from a lawnmower
(grrr!)
> > where there were only strips torn and frayed, 4-5 vertical inches.
It
> > looked
> > pretty much like that paper cutting art, connected here & there.
It was
> > early summer. I straightened out the mess which went pretty much
all
> > around,
> > pieced it all back and wound it tightly with surveyor's tape,
stretching
> > as I went. Within a month it was all callused over and now, over a
year
> > later, you can't tell.
> > vic..... Zone 3 NH
> >
> > Tom Olenio wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I was just thinking about the damage I had to repair last
> > > spring done by rabbits girdling trees and I had a thought.
> > >
> > > I have seen branches used for bridging girdling damage, but
> > > I wonder if bark strips, taken from the same tree, when the
> > > bark is slipping, would not be easier to work with.
> > >
> > > Imagine you have a 4-5" diameter tree that has been girdled
> > > at the base. If you lifted bark strips 1/2" wide and as
> > > long as necessary to bridge the damage, would it work, and
> > > be easier than working with arcing branches across the gap?
> > > Also, would it heal faster as you are not introducing any
> > > foriegn plant material?
> > >
> > > I have drawn a simple diagram;

> > > Lift 4 strips from around the tree above the damage and seal
> > > the wounds, then trim and fit bark strips to bridge the gap.
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried this? You would would not have to fight
> > > the tension created by arching branches, as bark strips
> > > would lay flat to the trunk.
> > >
> > > Just daydreaming of spring damage which is inevitable.
> > >
> > > Later,
> > > Tom
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thomas Olenio
> > > Ontario, Canada
> > > Hardiness Zone 6a

> > > 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a
posting
> > and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was
large).

> > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> > 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a
posting
> > and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was
large).

Service.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!