nafex - [nafex] Re: New Member

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: New Member
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:12:02 -0000

Dean:
My contact with the U of S has been very positive so far, I am more
concerned about the large nurseries and their business ethics.
Thanks for offering to ask about crossing borders with their material
but I have already have a pretty good idea of the red tape and
expense involved, which is quite high, on both accounts.
I'd love to hear about the fruit conference, perhaps it would make a
good submission to Nafex.
I thought that I'd read that the Ski Carmine was rather small in
fruit size compared to the Evans. Perhaps I was mistaken. I got the
info from a nursery in Alberta, fergit the name.
I thought the Evans might be easier to propagate as a rootstock but
then, if the Ski Carmine carries its hardiness via seed then that
might be a better bet.
Scott Skogerboo of Colorado has done considerable work on Dr Hansen's
plum collection, working closely with one of his students. Wish he
were on this list.
Here is a url that will inform you a bit on Surround. I don't know if
its available in Canada.
http://www.attra.org/attra-digest/news0499.html#engelhard

My experiments with amelanchier as rootstock for pear have been
dismal but it may be due to the poor aftercare. Graft takes were very
poor and vigor very low, to the point of weakness. I lost all of my
grafts, on alnifolia.
Dr Westwood found however that they were among the most efficient
yielders of all the rootstocks tested, (both intra and inter -generic
with pear.) However, his friend who has taken care of some of them
says that they are doing very poorly, but I haven't given up hope, do
you know of any trees that have done well over time?
I am not familiar with any of the 'gold series of pear and apricot.
Kevin B

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.