nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: New Member

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: New Member
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:23:05 -0600

Hello Kevin,

>From my experience, the U of S doesn't really care about how big your
operation is, although they would probably like a minimum of seedlings per
orchard. I have definately noticed no 'squeezing out' of smaller
operations, in my dealings they have been fair with all parties. I'm not
sure if the U of S has any U.S. cooperators due to all the red tape of
moving plants across the border, but I can ask, as I'll be attending a fruit
conference next weekend.

I have some Evans cherry planted as well, although there is a question of
it's hardiness here, as I and others I know have had some dieback in zone
2b. The evans cherry was located by Dr. Evans, around Edmonton, which is
zone 3a. I have tasted both the evans and SK Carmine Jewel cherry, and
there isn't too much difference in taste or size. The pit of the Evans is
elongated and the flesh and juice are clear/yellow/pink similar to the
Montmorency. The evans should be pruned to a small tree, and the Carmine
Jewel probably to a shrub since it grows to a Max 8 feet high. As far as
using it for a rootstock, I would prefer to use the more hardy Carmine Jewel
that doesn't sucker very much, and more dwarf. At the U of S plot in
Saskatoon, the soils are heavy clay, and they do very well there.

I met Dr. Evans and Bernie at the Devonian fruit conference in Edmonton in
August, and learned quite a bit from their experiences and knowledge.

I'm afraid I can't offer you too much in the way of apple rootstock
knowledge as apples are not one of my main interests.

I'm interested in locating some the cultivars released by Dr. Hansen out of
South Dakota, and the cultivars released by Mandan, ND.

I am not aware of Surround kaolin clay, what and how do you use it?

I have planted Prairie Gold/sunrise/Brookcot/Westcot/Debbie's Gold for
apricot, with more planned for the spring.

I have planted many of the commercial pears, grafted on Pyrus Ussuriensis
rootstock, and grafting/budding more on Amelanchier next year because of
dwarfing affect and no pear decline problems. Also have Ure, Golden Spice,
Early Gold, Luscious, Summercrisp and others.

Take care,

Dean

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!