nafex - [nafex] voles & carpet mat experiment results

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] voles & carpet mat experiment results
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 14:30:27 +0000

>From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
I just can't get over why I would have this problem so early, when last year
under identical (to me) circumstances I had no damage and the
>nursery was hardly protected.

I'm guessing it's mouse numbers, no?
I remember reading that one should expect a significant increase in Lymes
disease the year after a good mast crop....as there would be a field mice
population explosion. I wonder what else effects population explosions of
the little buggers, snow cover or not, predator decline?

As I was tending to my screening this year I also pulled up the 4' salvaged
carpet squares (tree matts), and will stack them for the winter as a vole
deterrant. This is a 3 year old experiment. The results are.....
1. Put the pile side up, then it doesn't make nesting material
2. When picking up salvaged carpet (something carpet stores smile at since
they have to pay to dump it) don't pick up cheap looking carpet, it will
degrade the first year or so
3. If any weeds are seen to poke up through it, pull it as its deteriorating
4. Much of the 3 year old mats still seem to have years left in them
5. They have made a weed free 4' square for my new trees
6. Its advantage over other matting is its weight...wind doesn't move it;
water passes through it; and the price is right.
7. The disadvantage is putting it down permanantly (or using cheap stuff)
which will deteriorate...causing a nightmare for mowing, weed whippng,
rorotilling. Mn. Del