nafex - Re: [nafex] Radiation worries

  • From: claude sweet <sweetent@home.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Radiation worries
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:15:19 -0800

Tom,

The following is a reply from surebeam posted on the Garden Writers Forum:

Lisa,

It will destroy the DNA in biological organisms.

This is how it kills thebacteria. For most plant and food applications
we use low doses which willkill insects and pathogenic bacteria without
harming flowers or food. However, anthrax spores are very resistant and
require very high doses.

These high doses may cause flowers to wilt or kill cuttings meant for
later planting - we really don't know at this stage. There will likely
have to be a mechanism for things of this nature to bypass the
irradiation systems.

You should ask the postal service about this.

Jeff Boeger
Marketing Associate
SureBeam Corp.
phone: 858-552-9933
fax: 858-552-9973

Thomas Olenio wrote:

> Let's not worry about this too much.
>
> There will most certainly be alternate postal inspection processes for all
> the various items that will be damaged by gamma sterilization.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM