nafex - [nafex] Re: Black Walnut/Paw paw symbiosis?

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Black Walnut/Paw paw symbiosis?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:41:18 -0000

Sorry group, my question was meant to ask "do you have any info on a
symbiosis between PERSIMMON and black walnut" not Paw Paw.

The Society of Ontario Nut Growers book states, p. 114:

"Where Evelyn persimmon grows in a walnut grove it is two weeks
earlier (to ripen fruit), than where it grows in the open. Anecdotal
information on persimmon intercropped with black walnut is
accumulating. The microclimate set up by black walnut is beneficial
by wind reduction, diffused light through an open foliage, deep roots
drawing up moisture, plus persimmon seems to like increasing pH and
juglone. Whether early ripening is microcliate induced, chemically
induced, water stress induced, or induced by a root symbiosis, the
research is left for tree crops study.

I'm wondering if fruit quality or quantity will suffer being grown in
a diffused sunlight situation when grown under black walnut, or are
the black walunts placed to the north of the persimmons.
Kevin B

> Gordon Nofs wrote:
> >
> > I know of no mutual dependence between the two. But pawpaws and
> persimmons
> > will grow and thrive under Black walnut.
> >
> > Gordon C. Nofs
> > Flint, Michigan
> > gc_nofs@h...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/