nafex - [nafex] Off-topic: asparagus

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: "nafex@yahoogroups.com" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Off-topic: asparagus
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:29:16 -0400

Well, my question is prompted because of my raspberries. . .

I have some large flattish stones I want to lay down along my raspberry
bed. They will serve two purposes. (1) My husband and kids can walk on
the stones without fear of trampling my pet plants and (2) I don't have
to weed under the stones. But I have asparagus growing too close the
the raspberries (among the reasons it's hard to find a safe place to
tread.) I have been waiting for the asparagus to die off, so as the
minimize the risk of damaging them while moving the stones around - they
are too heavy for me to carry, and my husband is clumsy (and partly
blind) while carrying them. On the other hand, it's no fun moving
stones when your hands are very cold, so I was wondering if now might be
late enough. Some of the asparagus have turned about half yellow, and
most show signs of beginning to turn. The milkweed (the other plant I
didn't want to hurt) has lost all its leaves, and I think it will be
okay if I just cut it down for the winter.

Also - any suggestions for groundcover around the stones? (Still trying
to keep down weeds.) Grass is too invasive - it gets into all the other
garden plants. Maybe anything that will compete with grass will be
similarly invasive? I was thinking I might try clover.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass.
zone 6