nafex - Re: [nafex] interim reply, row question

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] interim reply, row question
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:14:12 +0000

Thanks for the imput,
Currants do seem the best choice. I don't know of their life expectancy
though, or root spread. I consider plums also but I have seen plum trees
that are quite large, perhaps 15' dia.- any ideas on this?
Since the apple roots would have to spread 7 to 8 feet to be in competition
I figure I've got 10 to 15 years in this climate before its a major issue.
I was thinking of trailng type blackberries- figuring they would not be
invasive like the uprights. But they might have the same kind of deep
stubborn, difficult to eradicate roots that asparagas have.

Which leads me to a pertinent question...In apple orchard discussions it is
typical to mention them as in rows - however, I grew up around almonds and
english walnuts, they don't have rows, they are planted on a grid patern
equal in all directions. So I planted my apples on a similar grid of about
18 feet. Am I missing something? Perhaps this is the concern over interim
plantings being too crowded, etc. What I think to do is plant one interim
plant between each pair of trees, that is, 9' from any tree. Thanks! Mn.
Del

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!