nafex - [nafex] hoop house & raspberries

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] hoop house & raspberries
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 20:03:37 +0000

We've got a 3 year old patch of autumn bliss raspberries, 30' long by 4-5'
wide. They're absolutely delicious. With the late fall were having (first
hard frost is tonight) we're still picking loads of berries and there is
buckets more in various stages of growth from blossom to green to red. So I
decided to delve into the world of hoop houses.
<http://www.rainyside.com/resources/hoophouse.html>
Is a basic site.
I used 16 foot wide 6 mil 'clear' poly (left over from construction.) The
one thing that helped greatly that I hadn't thought of were the home made
clips of 1" pvc. If anyone is doing this write me and Ill tell how I cut
them, and design specs.
This particular house design called for 20' wide plastic--the clips made it
easy to add a 5' wide strip to fill in.

now that I've seen how cheap and easy this is, I'm making a low wide one for
our ripening butternut squash. With 16" sections of rebar as the anchor
that the 3/4' pvc frame fit over - its easy to shape the hoop house from a
tall quansit hut shape to a low wide arch.

I have hopes this method might work easier in the spring to get things going
sooner instead----hoping that they wont need it in the fall when the plants
are bigger and the hoop house is somewhat in the way of picking. Mn. Del
Z2/3