nafex - [nafex] Callousing Temperture

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Callousing Temperture
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 11:10:44 -0400

Hello All,

Many calculations of chilling hours for fruit trees are
based on a temperature of 45F, this being the optimum
temperture for chilling. I am curious as to what the
optimum temperture is for cold callousing of buried
hardwood, dormant cuttings?

Most techniques for this indicate the cuttings should be
bundled, then buried in a damp sand or peat pit, with their
butt ends pointing up. The butt end being 3" below the
surface of the ground.

However, I have been unable to find out the optimum
temperature for callousing. Does anyone know the answer to
this? My guess would be that anything below 32F would stop
the callousing process, so is the answer again 45F?.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio