nafex - Re: [nafex] Here's to disease-prone, noncommercial old varieties!

  • From: "John Van Hazinga" <vanhaz@gsinet.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Here's to disease-prone, noncommercial old varieties!
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 08:30:22 -0400

Enjoying my first plum crop on 4 year old Superior (If that is what it is--
tree vigorous, fruit 1and a half inch reddish spheres.) Earlier had crop
of Sapalta cherry plum (prunus besseyi type leaves), good, not quite as
exquisite, but early -picked Aug 3 to 20, that I bought potted two years
ago.
A I believe Fellemburg prune plum is loaded and started to turn. (bought
tree as dwarf green gage but with a few large purple plums last year guess
Fellemburg as closest
discription from Miller's catalog) Was wondering how you northeast plum
growers fare with Kaga. Suppose to be perfect polinator for Superior but
has scarcely flowered the past two years and set no friut. One Nafex friend
30 miles south says his does OK but fruit tends to split as ripening.
Considering top working it to another variety (probably purple heart) next
spring as it is in premium spot. Also have 4 more european and 8 hybrid
varieties too young to bear.

First heavy rain in over two months in this part of southern NH last night
which should save fall raspberries but still concerned over dug well as
brooks I had neve known to go dry had stopped and established perenials were
wilting every afternoon.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM