nafex - Re: [nafex] Want to buy sweet acorns

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Want to buy sweet acorns
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:13:34 -0500

At 09:08 AM 08/30/2001 -0500, Joe wrote:
>I planted about 50 assorted oak seedlings two years ago. The tap
>roots were cut at 4" to 6" long. The stems were 18" to 24" long.
>They broke bud and clung to life through the summer (it was a wet
>summer). Four of the original 50 seedlings survived the winter. So I
>am a little disenchanted with planting seedling oaks, even though the
>"root" cause of mortality was inadequate roots.

Mycorrhizal inoculation might have improved survival rates to some degree,
but I do *try* to preserve as much root system as is practicable when
digging oak, pecan, or hickory seedlings out of my nursery beds. Still,
you've gotta figure that bare-root oak seedlings have lost the bulk of
their feeder root system, and are going to require more than a modicum of
special care.

While direct seeding in the desired location may work - and it might be
advisable to plant the acorn and install a tree shelter over it at planting
time - you might also want to consider containerized growing for the first
year. If done correctly, it will result in a seedling with a good
lateralized fibrous root system, and may actually promote earlier fruiting,
if that's of interest to you. Have a look at this online article on
containerized propagation of oaks & nut trees:

http://agebb.missouri.edu/mac/agopp/arc/agopp027.txt

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY