nafex - Re: [nafex] Want to buy sweet acorns

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Want to buy sweet acorns
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:08:52 -0500 (CDT)

I planted about 50 assorted oak seedlings two years ago. The tap
roots were cut at 4" to 6" long. The stems were 18" to 24" long.
They broke bud and clung to life through the summer (it was a wet
summer). Four of the original 50 seedlings survived the winter. So I
am a little disenchanted with planting seedling oaks, even though the
"root" cause of mortality was inadequate roots.

Name of nurseryman is intentionally withheld as I believe they are
generally reputable.

> Joe
> Also a very good place for all acorns is Ken Asmus at "Oiko's Tree
Crops"
> Very reliable and informative on all acorns. He is a Nafex member
and has
> acorns from around the world. He sells seedlings of a great varity
of oaks.
> It would save you many years. At least get his catalog of
information.
> E-Mail: oak24@aol.com
>
> Gordon C. Nofs
> Flint, Michigan