nafex - [nafex] Williams Pride

  • From: "H.Dessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: "Nafex" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Williams Pride
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 02:04:29 -0400

Mr. Fackler,
Thanks for your response regarding the origin of Williams Pride and sorry if
I have offended anyone particularly M. Ed Williams, or his friends and
acquaintances, with my doubts about the origin of the Williams Pride.
It is an unfortunate coincidence that Apples of New York, in vol. II, p. 442,
lists and shows a picture of a very beautiful early apple called Williams,
alias Williams Favorite, etc.. which by the way looks more like my Williams
Pride than the picture of those very nice looking Williams Pride sent to me
by a member of this list (quite green with very dark red shading) with whom I
am exchanging some thought on the subject and soon I hope a digitized photo
of my nice but very different Williams Pride.
My problem is not really with the name, but you might say with the apple. I
suggested that his apple may not be Williams Pride, and he replied that it
was the same as other Williams Pride he had seen.
Maybe, he has the Williams Prides and I don't.
But, my apple sure looks like the description of the Williams in the book,
and I took the scion from a tree labelled Williams Pride, which had been
grafted also. So, you can now appreciate my comments on the origin of the
apple.
Maybe, someone else confused the two.
My apple is «pale yellow turning bright red in downward stripes, and has a
definite russet spotting around the cavity only, uneven but spread all around
the cavity, which is shallow. The two sides are uneven. The shape is somewhat
conic and the size is medium, somewhat like an Empire. »
The tree is vigourous and hardy, somewhat sprawling and spreading but with a
central leader (as opposed to compact). The bark is medium brown tinged with
green.

I tried to pick my only specimen this morning to examine it more closely but
it is attached very solidly to the tree, so I left it thinking it may not be
fully ripe yet.

I was also interested in your comment about bitter pit associated with Ca
deficiencies. It explains why Williams Pride are not recommended with M111,
which happen to perform quite well in low ph, sandy soil, BUT poor in Ca and
Mag.

I felt an explanation was in order.
Thanks again,
Hélène, zone 3