nafex - Re: [nafex] Making Grape Jelly

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Making Grape Jelly
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:19:52 -0500

Ward,
Have you thought of canning grape juice, too? It's great. You don't need a
pressure canner for juice or jelly. There is so much sugar in the juice and
jelly that spoilage is not a problem. About the consistency of your jelly.
There is much natural pectin in Concord juice that you do not need to add
any. But, the trick is to cook it down to the point where it is jelling in
the boiling form. The standard method of testing is called sheeting. Take
a clean tablespoon and dip it into the cooking jelly. If the jelly rolls
off the spoon when tilted, cook further. You want the jelly to sheet the
spoon and remain--no dripping. That's the jelly stage. Then pour into hot,
sterilized jars, top with sterilized lids and rims, turn the jars upside
down on a clean towel for 20 minutes and then turn upright. Within 10 to 15
minutes, you will hear the tings and pops that mean the jars have sealed.
All you need a kettle for is to sterilize the jars, lids and rings.
Doreen Howard