nafex - Re: [nafex] urine

  • From: hector black <hblack@TWLakes.Net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] urine
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:33:36 -0700

Well, I've loaned out my "Humanure Handbook" which deals with this whole
subject. But I believe that fresh urine is pretty well balanced with N, K
and P, and also contains most trace elements. There are changes as it ages,
but I don't know what they are, except that the N escapes as a gas as urine
ages. The ammonia smell is part of that.

I've been using it for about 13 years now and learning as I go. I dilute it
50% most of the time for soil that is reasonably moist. If soil quite wet,
I use it 75% or even 100% in spring before rapid growth. I've noticed the
brown spots where dogs urinate - but haven't studied up on dog urine - I
expect each creature has differences in its urine. But in all the years
I've used human urine (and I learned to do this from my grandfather 60 years
ago, who had a beautiful garden), I've rarely had problems. The problems
have been with seedlings that were only in second leaf - where I used 50%
urine and burned them.
I did have a problem with cherry tomatoes this year. Tried just one
little fertilization with urine at 50% when they were about 1 ft. high, and
they put on too much to leaf. They're about 8 ft. high and producing well,
but I would rather keep the plants smaller.
I've used urine exclusively - the only fertilizer - on my citrus for the
past 3 years and the plants show no chlorosis, have deep green foliage, and
have set and ripened delicious fruits. This year I upped the urine dosage
to every 3 weeks during summer, and have more flowers and fruit than ever.
Now, I'm not saying that urine would do as well for any plant. But we
have used it in the orchard on mayhaw, chestnut, brambles and some other
plants with good results, and no deaths.
Hector Black zone 6, middle TN