nafex - Re: [nafex] Under stock question.

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Under stock question.
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 16:23:51 -0500

Gordon Nofs wrote:
> > From what I have seen over the years there have been trees with large
> > diameter bottoms and small diameter tops. Also vice versa. This has been
> > at
> > the grafts and you could tell by the change in bark. some have had
> > profound
> > steps.

I've seen the same thing - some shagbark hickories I've seen, grafted onto
a vigorous northern pecan rootstock, will have a much smaller diameter than
the understock.
In my orchard, I have a Winter Red Flesh apple(a crab), on a combo M9/M111
rootstock. The WRF stem is easily 1/3 the diameter of the M9
interstem. Quite a difference.

> > Gordon C. Nofs
> > Flint, Michigan
> > gc_nofs@hotmail.com