nafex - [nafex] amelanchier

  • From: Bob and Winnie <natvwine@cut.net>
  • To: nafex chat <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] amelanchier
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 11:19:28 -0600

The juneberry harvest is all but done here and I thought I would post my
informal rating of the kinds available here.
Pembina: very slow to bear, plants are small here after 6 years in the
ground. Large berries with excellent flavor.
Timm and Success: very attractive compact plants that really produce the
fruit. Medium size berries with good to average flavor. (my daughter
insists these are blueberries)
Lamarckii (tree type, from OIKOS): here, this is anything but a tree.
After 5 years still only 2.5 ft tall, it finally bore some berries that
were quite bland.
Locals; 12 to 15 ft in height, these plants quite often put out berries
1/2 in. accross with variable flavor - some very good some quite bland.

Interestingly, we had a temperature on June 6th of 22 F that didn't seem
to affect any of the juneberries.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM