nafex - [nafex] Black Currants

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: "nafex@yahoogroups.com" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Black Currants
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:02:39 -0400

As some of you might recall, I dug up my one Consort Black Currant last
fall, and replaced it with a Crandall. I didn't have the heart to throw
it away, so I planted it in the woods, in light shade, with rich but
quite shallow soil. (Granite below.)

Imagine my surprise to see that not only did it take quite well, it
flowered, and even ripened a (small) crop! After I ripped off most of
its roots and put it in the shade!! The darn thing is nearly as large
as last fall.

So, y'all told me that these currants taste much better cooked. I'd
like to taste it. Is there any practical way to cook up my two
tablespoons of currants to try them out? Maybe microwave them in a
small dish with a sprinkling of water? Who knows, maybe I'll want to
move it back into the sun. (Even if not, it's quite pretty where it
is.)

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
zone 6, Eastern Mass.