nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Japanese beetles

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Japanese beetles
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:52:18 -0500

Donna asked for comments on Japanese beetles.
This is based on only two growing seasons in SE Wisconsin. Last year, they
were barely present. Earwigs were the devastating pest. This summer, the
Jap beetles are eating everything. They totally stripped the big tropical
leaves from a brugmansia in a pot. They have devoured the roses, nicotiana
sylvestris, hollyhocks, currants, and many other flowers in the ornamental
borders. They made lace out of the crucifers--I know it was them, because I
had dusted with Bt to thwart cabbage moths. But, they have left alone the
eggplants, because I have consistently kept them covered with neem to
prevent whitefly infestations. I sprayed everything with neem 4 days ago,
and that seemed to slow them down. But, we have gotten two rains since, and
today they were back. I pulled them out of the center of opening roses and
knocked them off squash plants. I didn't think they ate squash, but they
were thicker than flies on the plants. We had a long, cold winter here too.
Didn't seem to matter.
Doreen Howard