nafex - Re: [nafex] Lon's caution about Canadians in The South

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@bunchgrapes.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Lon's caution about Canadians in The South
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:12:34 -0700

All I can say is that conditions for rust must not be right there. The
Canadian saskatoons are a lost cause with it, here. Even the NCGR, which
has the collection of Amelanchier, reports heavy rust on most of the
Canadian selections.
There is an angle I hadn't thought of before, though. Many plants adapted
to northern conditions have low chill hours because there is only a short
time in the fall at the right temperatures to satisfy it in the north.
After that, only the cold keeps them dormant and they can pop as soon as the
first warm days come. Perhaps that would make them work in the south.
-Lon