nafex - Re: [nafex] Pruning Worm

  • From: "Dr. Ethan Natelson" <natelson@pipeline.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pruning Worm
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 07:56:24 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Doc,

I assume you are referring to the limb girdler. This is an insect
about 1 inch long and armored like a Sherman tank. They are grey-brown and
difficult to see against the bark. They form a ring around the limb, which
is then girdled and eventually falls off. They lay their eggs in the shaft
of the part of the branch that remains. They are difficult to kill. They
prefer Mimosa trees but will even girdle thick Wisteria vines, when active.
I solved my problem with a 20 foot length of hollow aluminum tubing about 10
years ago. I would spot the varmints high in the tree at the site of their
activity and then nudge them with the pole. They would fall into the hollow
tube, taking the slide down to ground level where they could be disposed of.
After 2 seasons of this technique, their population declined to zero, never
to be seen again.

Regards, Ethan